Tapscott's book, Grown up Digital has so far proved to be one of the best books that I've read while attending W.S.U.
Before I go any further though, I might say that Tapscott opinionates some of his research based upon his own children. Although it appears that he does have some statistical data to relay his notions, I found that he often utilized examples from his own offspring, thus possibly skewing his viewpoint in a manner that he may not have otherwised experienced if he had utilized other examples...Just a thought.
Ironically I found myself attracted to the book's message because of my own children. Tapscott's message was very easy to follow and I found myself agreeing with many of the points he was making in the book. While I found it very interesting when relating his points to my own children, I found it to be of great benefit to myself as well.
Tapscott's statement on pg. 29: "The successful companies will be those that recognize that networked structures work more effectively than old-fashioned hierarchies. Peer collaboration drives innovation and new approaches to management and government."
This particular statemet really resounded with me. It's not only important to understand why my own children act or have behave differently than I may have at their given ages, but relevant in the job markets as well. Tapscott points out that large businesses (especially the high-tech industry) are already starting to shift their perspectives and adopting this new business model. While I haven't personally seen this model in any of my work environments I wonder how long it will be until this is more of a mainstream philosophy in most business models.
I found Tapscott's "Eight Net-Generation Norms" to be very benefical as well. It really relates to my field of study in a remarkable way. By seeing these norms I was able to understand what this generation wants and is looking for in products and business practices. It is echoed in the statement, "Businesses targeting the Net Gen should expect and welcome intense scrutiny of its products, promotional efforts, and corporate practices. The Net Gen knows that their market power allows them to demand more of companies, which goes for employers as well." The first thing that I thought of when I read this was the new Dominoe's Pizza advertising campaign. see link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH5R56jILag
This small documentary was turned into an advertising campaign and hits what Tapscott is saying square on the head!! A great example.
This shows how Dominoe's is trying to gain confidence from the Net Generation. They are showing that they have LISTENED to what people are saying, ADMITTED their failures, AND HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!
I really appreciated Tapscott's insight into how the Net Gen is so unabashed in their privacy issues. It shows how I may be able to help protect my kids to a greater degree in the future.
Another very relevant issue that is addressed in the first portion of the book is that of broadcasting. It was insightful because it showed how the effects of one way communication were diminishing and before long may completely fade away. It definately rings another bell for businesses trying to compete for future consumers. As the cell phone is currently one of the leading information tools currently I see consumerism heading in that direction. I feel that if companies are to stay afloat that they must embrace a strategy that utilzes this current medium and be on the lookout for the next big wave in an interactive communication medium.
All in all, I'm very excited to read the rest of this book. I think that it will help lay a ground foundation and understanding for me personally into how the Net Gen will purchase and consume/dictate information. It's exciting to think about how these changes will directly impact my kids and I.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment