Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tapscott Part 2

Tapscott is definately an optomist at heart. In the second part of the book it was good to see him take a turn back towards reality. He relays to us how the Net Generation learns and absorbs information differently than previous generations.

I do admire Tapscott in his attempts at making everything seem as positive as possible. There were several passages that stood out to me throughout the reading, but one talked specifically about the educational system being the downfall of students, not the Internet. In some ways what Tapscott is saying makes sense. It may not be the teachers fault, the schools fault, or technologies fault, but the underlying issue deals with the way in which youth are being taught.

I see Tapscott's connection between the way that the Net Generation is being wired and how the arcaic way of teaching doesn't seem applicable to them. I agree that there needs to be some sort of reform, not only in the way that we are teaching but in the way that we utilize the technology that has been given to us. We can't expect people to walk up to a computer and start utilizing it without any guidance. As Tapscott states in earlier chapters, many teachers are being taught by the students. We need to have instructors who not only are technologically savvy, but instructors that know how to reach the people through interactive participation.

Tapscott's insight into the video game realm and its abilities to help generate new brain growth seemed to be promising. I have heard that this technique was already being used in places to help kids learn more effectively and that it helped to strengthen the learning process. The statement, "Where traditional learning is based on the execution of carefully graded challenges, accidental learning relies on failure. Virtual environments are safe platforms for trial and error. The chance of failure is high, but the cost is low and lessons learned are immediate" really made me think about how the learning process is changing so much. In my own life I see this happen when I install new software, or play a new video game. I just jump right in and start learning, rather than reading through a bunch of manuals. I suppose that I want "instant gratification". I get pissed if an internet connection takes more than a couple of seconds to start loading a page. Funny enough I'm from the 1200 baud modem days too. My perception of how things should operate has changed over the course of the last few years. That's not to say that I still don't read manuals for things or follow directions, but it does elucidate upon the fact that I am impatient at times and want things to "grab me" immediately.

My brother is currently working for a company who is implementing many of the ideals and ideas that Tapscott is talking about. They have a break room with foosball tables, pool tables, video games, etc... for their employees. The company takes one day (most of the time a half-day) out the week to do something fun with all of it's employees. They use collaboration to work on projects and use these "fun times" as team building exercises. The idea of a fun work environment and positive atmosphere changes the employees perception of work. They are motivated to do a good job because they are constantly rewarded for their efforts. While they still have to work, work seems fun and enjoyable, not boring and sacraficial.

The only thing that I could wish for is that more companies would start taking this approach. Perhaps they would see less turn over, more profits, fewer sick employees, and an overall atmosphere of determination and satisfied employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment